Print View (image only)
Image Number: 0401073
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
Florida Baptist Convention
Board of Missions, Training and Evangelism
Rogers Building – 218 West Church Street
F.C. First Baptist Church (Mrs. G.L. West) Page 4
"Rev. Hobson was pastor at the time, and in the midst of the desolation and ruins, while the fire still smoldered, he set to work formulating plans to rebuild the church. By January 1, 1902, he had raised $16,000.00.
"On February 3, 1902, the cornerstone for the new building 86 ft. x 105 ft. was laid. The building of Gothic style with handsome windows, the outside walls of Bedford stone, was opened with the first services on February 14, 1904.
"In 1907, it was found in searching over old records that the LaVilla site on Myrtle Avenue still belonged to the Baptist Church, and there were many graves in the little cemetery surrounding the little brick church which had long since disappeared. The City of Jacksonville had in the meantime taken possession of the property, but claims were made, and the property with an estimated value of $20,000.00 was deeded back to the First Baptist Church.
"In 1903, the Church had a membership of 300. In 1908, the members numbered 653, after letters had had been given to forty to establish the Main Street Baptist Church at Eighth and Main Streets.
"In 1908 the Grace Baptist Church, known as the East Jacksonville Mission, passed out of existence, but the First Baptist still retains title to the property which has an estimated value of $2,500.00.
(No clippings, booklets, photos, or history other than the above available at this time.)
cc to Mrs. J.W. Aldridge.