Print View (image only)
Image Number: 0401066
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
Sheet 1 of 2 sheets
WPA Form 20 HR FLORIDA Revision
Worker’s Full Name: J.T. Gregory, Vera L. Faucette, J.A. Flood
[added note] Transposed by Florence Bailey 7/19/38 [end note]
[added note] Transferred form 307 [end note]
HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY – STATE ARCHIVES SURVEY
CHURCH INVENTORY FORM: 1938
Fill in each item, or state in items for which information is not available, sources contacted in attempting to secure information.
1. County: Duval
2. City or town: Jacksonville
3. Exact name of church: First Baptist Church
4. Street address, R.F.D. route, or description of location: N.E. corner of Hogan and Church Streets
5. Race of membership: White
6. Language of services: English
7. Denomination (full title): Southern Baptist Convention
8. Names and locations of denominational bodies – national, state, district, etc. – in descending order of importance:
Southern Baptist Convention, Nashville, Tenn.
Florida Baptist Convention, Jacksonville, Fla.
Jacksonville Baptist Association
9. Date church organized: 1838
10. Dates of lapse, if now defunct: None
11. Is church incorporated?: Yes
12. If so, give date of incorporation: 1913
13. Original name of church (if name has changed) and date of change: Bethel Baptist, 1838-1866; Tabernacle, 1867-1892; present name 1892--.
14. Name of local parent church (if any) from which organized of split: None
15. Information on all previous buildings used for services, since, organization, specifying location and dates used:
1838-1840, Government Block House, corner Ocean and Monroe Streets; second building, 1840-1846. Duval and Newnan Streets; brick church in LaVilla 1846-1861; church erected on Church Street between Hogan and Julia Streets, 1861-1892; 1892-1901 services held in building at present location; church burned in 1901; rebuilt at back of lot and used until 1904 when the present building was completed.