Print View (image only)
Image Number: 0401071
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
Florida Baptist Convention
Board of Missions, Training and Evangelism
Rogers Building – 218 West Church Street
F.C. First Baptist Church (Mrs. G.L. West) Page 2
"The Newly organized Church held its first meetings in the Government "Block House" (near where the present County Court House now stands).
"In 1840, the Baptists purchased the Northeast corner of Duval and Newnan Streets and erected a Chapel.
"In the meantime, the Presbyterians and the Methodists had established a following, and these two denominations also by arrangement used the little Chapel of the Baptists. The building was sold to the Presbyterians in 1844, and they disposed of it to the Methodists in 1846. The site has been in their hands ever since, and is now the location of the First Methodist Church.
"After the sale in 1846, the Baptists purchased a plot of ground consisting of two acres in "LaVilla" a newly established and select residence section of Duval County, just outside the City limits of Jacksonville. This ground was situated between Adams and Duval Streets on Myrtle Avenue, on which a small brick church was erected. A few years later, Elias Jaudon bought a piece of property adjoining this plot from Rev. McDonald and donated it to the Church for a burial ground.
"From 1838 to 1846 Rev. McDonald was pastor. From 1846 to 1850 there were several pastors, during an unsettled and rather unfortunate period in the history of the Church. In 1850 Rev. Baker was installed as the pastor, serving for four years. In 1859 Rev. E.W. Dennison became the pastor, and the records left by him show the Church at this period had forty white members and two hundred and fifty colored members.
"Finding themselves rather far out, and in the County outside the jurisdiction of the City of Jacksonville, and it was decided to make another change, and Deacon Jaudon