Print View (image only)
Image Number: 1202037
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
W.P.A. Form 20 HR
Worker’s Full Name: David E. Martin
[added note] County record [end note]
[added note] 752 [end note]
WORKS PROGRESS ADMINISTRATION
SURVEY OF STATE AND LOCAL HISTORICAL RECORDS: 1936
Name of State: Florida
HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY
CHURCH RECORDS FORM
1. County: Okeechobee
City or town: Okeechobee
2. Name of church: Saint Stephens Methodist
Street address: Colored town
3. Denomination: Negro (Methodist African Methodist Episcopal)
Date organized: 1921, no record of first meeting.
4. Date of lapse, if now defunct: None
5. Information as to previous buildings:
Original held meetings in a small wood building located at McNeil’s turpentine still; moved to present location 1925.
6. Date present building dedicated or consecrated: 1925
7. Architecture, bells, inscriptions, special features of building:
Has bell; common wood building throughout. No special features.
8. First settled clergyman: W.A. Witherspoon
[added note] Rev. Woods, 1932 present pastor. [end note]
Education Background: Unknown
9. Minute books (By years, volumes, file boxes, etc.):
1921-1924; 1925--, these vols. are kept at the home of the secretary in colored town.
10. Register books of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, members, deaths:
1921--; register of baptisms and members, no record of marriages or deaths. Kept by the secretary at his home in Colored town.