The functions of the Centro Asturiano society are the same as
those of Centro Espanol. For a time the new club met in rented quarters
and rendered medical aid through contract with other hospitals, but in
1903 it leased a building and set up its own medical center.
In 1905 the Asturiano had acquired money enough to construct
and equip a small hospital. By 1913 the membership had grown to 3,000
and that year constructed a new $100,000 clubhouse. Later the society
built a new and larger hospital completed in 1928 at a cost of $175,000,
which has 70 beds and a medical staff of 25 physicians, surgeons and
nurses. In 1939 there were 2,450 regular members paying dues of $2 a
month each, besides a "family section" with 3,200 members paying 35
cents a week to $2 a month. This club has approximately $300,000
invested in its Tampa buildings and equipment.
The third club in Tampa of this kind was L'Unions Italiana (The
Italian Club), which was founded by Italian residents of the Latin colony
in 1894, with a charter membership of 127. Patterned after the Spanish
clubs, its purposes and operation were and still are like those of Centro
Espanol and Centro Asturiano. The Italian group has not yet established
a hospital of its own, but through contract with other hospitals and
clinics its medical aid department provides services similar to those of
like societies. L'Unione Italiana now has 3,800 group-medicine
participants and an $82,000 clubhouse. Dues range from 20 cents a
week for children to 75 cents a week for adults.