The building is still standing and is in good condition. The Court House now in use was built in 1904, and an addition was made in 1914. No damages have occurred to the Court House or records since the removal of the county seat from Abe Springs.
After the creation of Calhoun county, numerous other changes were made in its boundaries. In 1845, part of Jackson was added to Calhoun, while three years later Holmes was formed from Calhoun and Walton. In 1913 Bay was formed from Calhoun and Washington, and in 1925 Calhoun was divided to form Gulf.
Altha, the only other settlement of any size in the county, was incorporated in 1914, but is no longer incorporated.
Today political and industrial activity center around Blountstown. The county is predominately agricultural, though lumbering is still of some importance. The erection of a bridge over the Apalachicola river, connecting Calhoun and Liberty counties, promises to increase the [importance] of this section.
State Library of Florida, WPA - Historical Records Survey, County Histories
Brief history of Calhoun County, Florida collected by the Works Progress Administration's Historical Records Survey.
Note to Researchers: Though the WPA field workers included extensive citations for the factual information contained in these county histories, it should be noted that these historical narratives were produced in the 1930s by federal government employees, and might reflect the inherent social biases of the era.