was quite important and spread over much of the Northern part of the county. The establishment of Saint Joseph as a political and shipping center, drew from the importance of Chipola, so that the center of population moved from the Northern to the Southern section of the state. After the destruction of Saint Vernon, attention again turned to the Northern section of the county and Abe Springs, on the Chipola river in the center of an agricultural territory became the county seat.
A court house was built at Abe Springs in the 1850's (have not been able to obtain date), but was burned in 1862, destroying most of the county records.
In County Commissioners minutes dated after the fire many references to plans for a new court house. Meanwhile buildings were rented by the county for offices of Clerk of Circuit Court, County Judge, and Sheriff.
Because of a petition signed by 111 voters, on April 1, 1880 a vote was held for removal of the county seat from Abe Springs to Blountstown, about 8 miles east of Abe Springs, on the Apalachicola river. Only 79 of the 308 registered electors voted (all for removal) which ordinarily would have meant that the county seat would have remained where it was, except for a special decision of Judge D. S. Walker, approving the change. The first meeting of County Commissioners held in Blountstown was on May 17, 1880.
In 1882 the Court House was built on a bluff on the Apalachicola river, according to a plan approved in 1878 for a court house in Abe Springs.