History of Bay County

History of Bay County

Transcript

Page -7- 
In 1888 a small village about two miles South East of St. Andrews was known as Park Resort, but was changed to Harrison, for President Harrison, in 1889. A post office was established here in 1889, but was discontinued until 1906. This is now Panama City. 
In 1913 Bay County was taken from Washington and Calhoun, and Panama City was made County Seat. 
South of Panama City is Millville, where a lumber mill was once operated by the German-American Lumber Company. During the World War the property of this company was confiscated to prevent its being of assistance to the Germans. It was purchased in 1916 by the St. Andrews Bay Lumber Co.,, [sic] and was operated until 1931, when it burned.
 
In 1925 St. Andrews, Millville, and Panama City were combined and incorporated as “Panama City, “generally called” Greater Panama City”.

Source

State Library of Florida, WPA - Historical Records Survey, County Histories

Description

Brief history of Bay County, Florida collected by the Works Progress Administration's Historical Records Survey.

Note to Researchers: Though the WPA field workers included extensive citations for the factual information contained in these county histories, it should be noted that these historical narratives were produced in the 1930s by federal government employees, and might reflect the inherent social biases of the era.