became larger than ever.
The first post office (the St. Andrews Bay Postoffice) in St. Andrews was established Jan. 15, 1857 with James B. B. Clarke as Postmaster.
During the Civil War, there was likely no postoffice here, because of the frequency with which the place was raided.
For a while during the War between the State St. Andrews served as a base for blocked running, and obtaining supplies for the Confederates. A blockade was established at the entrance to the harbor probably during the later part of 1861. In April 1862 the fleet captured the “Florida”, a confederate ship engaged in taking cotton from the bay and bringing back supplies. Salt making, an industry very important to the confederate troops, was carried on extensively in the Bay county. During the war there were numerous salt works from St. Andrews to St. Joseph, that were frequently raided by the federals, but the saltmakers were organized in companies, furnished with arms and ammunition, and exempt from regular duty.
On March 20th, 1863 the U.S. [R/K]oebuck anchored in St. Andrews where they had come in search of a ship said to be running valuable cargoes of cotton. Several men were sent ashore for water, leaving two men on board. Those who landed were attacked by a group of Confederated led by Capt. Robinson, who had been left to guard the salt works. Of the ten federals, two were killed, three fatally injured, and the rest wounded. The two men manning the boat succeeded by strategy in picking up their wounded companions, and escaping.
On Dec. 10, or 11, 1863, Acting Master Browne in command of the U.S. bark Restless, who was in destroying salt-works on the St. Andrews Bay took a position directly in front of the town, and fired. In a very short time