A Guide to Civil War Records
at the State Archives of Florida
The purpose of this guide is to identify and describe the state, federal, and private records pertaining to Florida’s Civil War era (1860-1865) housed at the State Archives of Florida. We hope this guide will assist and promote research into this time period.
Civil War Records At Other Repositories
State Library of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida
- Florida Collection The Florida collection houses documents, government papers, and both rare and popular published works on Florida history, including much material on the Civil War. Most of the titles listed in this guide’s bibliography below can be found at the State Library.
National Archives, Washington DC
- Civil War Records A comprehensive guide to all of their Civil War-related records.
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Florida Newspaper Project A listing of all the historic Florida newspapers housed throughout the state and nation, including the Civil War era.
- George A. Smathers Libraries
- PK Yonge Library of Florida History
- The Civil War and the Southernmost State Highlights from the P.K. Yonge Florida History Collection.
- Florida History in Newspapers
- The House Divided: Florida’s Civil War Letters An online exhibit utilizing several Civil War-era letters.
- Florida History Material Covering Civil War at P.K. Yonge A brief overview of the extent of Civil War records housed at the library.
- A Tour of Central Florida: George Franklin Thompson journal, 1865-1866 Exhibit featuring Thompson's descriptive journal of late Civil War Florida.
- Manuscript collections containing Civil War-related materials.
- Bailey Family Papers, 1841-1870
- Augustus O. McDonell Papers, 1861-1864
- Ashley Davis Hurt Papers, 1864-1898
- Richard Barksdale Harwell Papers
- Chandler Cox Yonge Papers, 1828-1886
- Stephens Family Papers, 1850-1930
- Dena Snodgrass Papers, 1812-1996
- David Levy Yulee Papers, 1800-1954
- Miscellaneous manuscripts A collection of brief manuscripts including papers from Senator Stephen Mallory, Governor John Milton, Governor Madison Starke Perry, William S. Allen, and many others. Use the search engine to find materials.
Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Southern Historical Collection
Florida Historical Society, Cocoa, Florida
The American Civil War Museum, Richmond, Virginia
- Soldier Letters Collection
- Pvt. Samuel H. Harris, Company G, 1st Florida Inf. (2 letters)
- Lt. Albert Livingston, Company G, 3rd Florida Inf. (9 letters)
- Sgt. Archie Livingston, Company G, 3rd Florida Inf. (22 letters)
- Cpl. Theodore Livingston, Company G, 3rd Florida Inf. (12 letters)
- Capt. John L. Inglis, Company D, 3rd Florida Inf. (3 letters)
- Soldier Diary Collection
- Sgt. Edward Clifford Brush, Company B, 3rd Florida Inf.
- Monuments and Memorials Collection
- Material related to Civil War monuments, including Palatka, St. Augustine, Tallahassee, Lakeland, Miami, Ocala, Orlando and Tampa.
- Medical and Hospital Collection
- Abel Seymour Babel and General Hospital Collection ( Lake City)
- Veterans Collection
- Florida Division, United Confederate Veterans, Gainesville, FL
Library of Congress, Washington DC
- Civil War Maps (includes maps of Florida)
University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- U.S. Civil War Center (Special Collections)
University of West Florida, Pensacola, Florida
- Special Collections
Division of Historical Resources, Bureau of Archaeological Research, Tallahassee, Florida
- Master Site File Lists all the Pre-Columbian and historical archaeological sites in the state, including Florida's Civil War sites.
Mississippi State University Mississippi State, MS
Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
- Archer, Edward Richard, Diary, 1864–1865
- Cabell family papers, 1774–1941
- Cabell, Abraham Joseph (1800–1831), papers
- Early, Jubal Anderson, Papers, 1837–1892
- Lomax Family Papers, 1776–1960
- Martin, John Marshall, Papers, 1863–1864
- Maxwell, David Elwell, Papers, 1862–1864