Federal forces were defeated after a spectacular cavalry duel was fought while both sides looked on, between the two commanders, resulting in the death of Col. Wilcoxon.
In 1866 the steamer Darlington, with Captain Charlie Brock, who was one of the popular steamboat captains of that time, was making regular trips on the St. Johns from Jacksonville to Enterprise and Mellonville. Frederick [de Bary], who bought a sugar and grist mill at Enterprise from Oliver C. Arnett, during 1868, some years later operated a line of steamers on the St. Johns river.
In 1871 Daytona, on the Halifax, was established.
A group of mechanics from New Britain, Conn., settled on the Halifax in 1874. They named their colony New Britain, and in 1880 it was incorporated as Ormond. The construction of a large hotel at Ormond, and the initial link of the East Coast railroad, established the reputation of the section as a winter resort.
Ormond also points to her antiquities in the form of the blockhouse on the nearby Addison grant. This near-perfect relic is linked with one Captain Antonio de Prado, 1569, who is said to have written his King concerning the erection of such a fortification on the “Nocoroco,” [or] Tomoka river.
The establishment of Stetson University at DeLand followed the settlement of that place. Then immediately came a period of railroad construction.
On August 28, 1878, the Blue Springs, Orange City & Atlantic Railroad Company started building a road to New Smyrna, finishing the 28 miles in 1886. A year later it was absorbed by the Atlantic & Western Railway Company, and became a part of the F. E. C. Railway, on April 4, 1896.
In the early part of 1880 the Orange Ridge, DeLand & Atlantic Railroad built from DeLand to DeLand Landing, on the east side of the St. Johns river.
The Atlantic Coast, St. Johns and Indian River Railway Company, in 1883-4, built from Enterprise to Titusville. The F. E. C. System now owns and operates this line. The Kissimmee Valley extension of the F. E. C. branching off from New Smyrna, was finished Nov. 16, 1916.
In 1884-6, the Palatka & Indian River Railway built seventy miles from Palatka to Sanford. On April 4, 1887, a consolidation was effected with the J. T. & K. W. Railway, which had a terminal in Jacksonville.