Indians, government forces under Major B. A. Putnam clashed with Indians at Dun-Lawton, near the site of what is now Port Orange.
The whites, outnumbered by the Indians, were defeated and fled to Bulowville, at the head of the Halifax. Ruins of a sugar mill, with remnants of machinery mark the site of the battle, at Port Orange, and in Flagler County, to the north, are the ruins of Bulow’s plantation buildings, which contain a finely carved panel over a door lintel, on which is inscribed: “BULOW VILLA,” January 26, 1831.
John James Audubon, the naturalist, who had been on a visit to John Bulow, at this place, on the Tomoka, rode overland to visit the plantation of Col Rees, at Spring Garden, in 1831, and he wrote telling of his ride across the country, accompanied by a guide, and that when they sighted the Rees buildings toward sunset, how pleased they were, which pleasure was even communicated to the animals they were riding, which “pricked up their ears and quickened their steps.”
Volusia is said to be an Anglicized version of the name of a French or Belgium trapper, Veluche. Other sources say the name originated from that of a Swiss, Voluz, one of the English colony at Rollestown, which disbanded at the close of the British occupation. Voluz, who had explored considerably, induced some of these settlers to settle with him in the vicinity of Volusia, or what afterward became so named.
The first paper to be recorded in Volusia County was a transfer of fifty-two slaves from Vance to Ravenal.
The Civil War with its attendant blockade of southern ports stimulated activities in Volusia County. Exporting cotton, the blockade runners using New Smyrna as a base, returned with much needed munitions, medical supplies, and other necessities secured in Nassau. A salt works of considerable capacity sprang up south of New Smyrna.
Two of the most successful blockade runners were the “Kate” and the “Cecile.” Two Federal gunboats came to Mosquito with orders to put a stop to the gun-running. An expedition came in from both ships, under the leadership of both commanders. They moved past New Smyrna and destroyed the salt works. Returning the forty-three men attempted a landing near the blockade runners’ stores, which were in a palmetto hut at New Smyrna. The Second Company, Third Florida Infantry, under Captain G. B. Bird, repulsed the attack with no casualties.
Another engagement within the confines of this County was a skirmish between Captain C. H. Dickison, Second Florida Cavalry, and a wagon train under Colonel Wilcoxon, of the 17th Connecticut Regiment. This occurred at Braddock’s farm, in the northwest part of the County. The