History of Palm Beach County
the actual settlement of Palm Beach by his purchase of a 50 acre tract of land from Captain O. S. Porter for $30.00, as well as 30 acres from Mrs. Wllen [sic] E. Potter and the Hillhouse Homestead. On these lands Mr. Flagler laid out the townsite of West Palm Beach in 1893, selling one of the first [lots] to Mrs. Rayner, Mr. George S. Maltby, E. M. Hyer and O. W. Weybrecht.
In 1910 the population of Palm Beach County was estimated at 5,577 people. By 1920 the population was 18,654 and in 1935 it was 48,014; out of which the City of West Palm Beach alone was 27,248.
In 1915 the Lake Worth Drainage District Project was organized which when finished became a vital factor in solving the drainage problems necessary for successful farming. This drainage in serving some 100,000 acres in the western section of Palm Beach County created a substantial settlment of farmers and of necessity improvement of hard surfaced roads, building, et cetera in the outlying districts.
The first school founded in Palm Beach County, then Dade County, was founded through the efforts of E. M. Dimmick on an island east of Lake Worth in 1885. In 1895 a bridge was built across Lake Worth, linking the bridge with the City of West Palm Beach.
Outlying towns, such as Pahokee, the largest town in the Everglades of Palm Beach, the largest city in the Everglades, which furnished the western part of Palm Beach County, were said to have first been