HRS & SAS
3310 Cornelia Drive,
Coconut Grove, Fla.
HISTORY OF PALM BEACH COUNTY
Palm Beach County had its beginning as Dade County in 1867. At that time the entire section from the head of the Lake to the town of Boynton was called Lake Worth in honor of Brigadier-General, Wm. Jenkins Worth, from Hudson, New York. General Worth was in charge of a body of soldiers who had come to round up Indians and transfer them to Tennessee and Indian Territory. Also in 1867 George W. Sears of Miami made a trip to Indian River in a "Sharpie". On the return trip Mr. Sears managed to enter a small opening between the Ocean and Lake where there is still an inlet. He saw a man standing on the shore who was a draft dodger from the Confederate Army. The man's name was Anton Lang. Upon returning to Miami Mr. Sears told of the beautiful lake he had seen and returned with a Mr. Charlie Moore from Miami who liked the place so well he took up a home site on what in now called Palm Beach.
In 1871, George Lainhart joined the settlement. He became the mail carrier between Titusville and Fort Pierce. Among other early
State Library of Florida, WPA - Historical Records Survey, County Histories
Brief history of Palm Beach County, Florida collected by the Works Progress Administration's Historical Records Survey.
Note to Researchers: Though the WPA field workers included extensive citations for the factual information contained in these county histories, it should be noted that these historical narratives were produced in the 1930s by federal government employees, and might reflect the inherent social biases of the era.