ernor Moore's attack but it was restored soon after. During the English
period, the old structure as remodeled, and after Florida became United
States territory, the mansion underwent further architectural alteration
and was dedicated as a Temple of Justice. The building was regularly
occupied as a Post Office in 1873 when it was fitted up by Postmaster
Benedict at his own expense. The new Post Office embodies the heavy
wooden balconies and massive beams of the original building and
includes most of the stone used in the construction of the Governor's
Mansion in 1690. It is fitting that the present Postmaster, the genial J.
Horman Manucy, is a direct descendent of one of the first families of St.
A few yards west of the Post Office is a tablet which has been
placed to mark the site of "El Rosario," a stone redoubt built to defend
the governor's residence at the time when the west line of defense was
within a block's distance of the Mansion. These ancient lines of defense
are the object of intensive research at the present time by the St.
Augustine Historical Restoration organization.
Just south of El Rosarie is the Lering Monument dedicated to
General William W. Lering. This famous soldier had the distinction of
fighting in the Seminole and Mexican Wars, became a major general in
the Confederate Army, and finally was appointed Fecrok Pachu [sic] of
the Egyptian Army in 1869: Egypt was then a part of the Turkish
empire. It is said that he gained this high command, highest ever given
by the Turkish Government to a foreigner, through the recommendation
of General Ulysses Grant.