A Guide to Florida Governors and the Florida Cabinet
Thirty-second (acting) governor: September 28, 1953 to January 4, 1955
Party Affiliation: Democrat
Lt. Governor: None
First Lady: Thelma Brinson Johns
Secretary of State:
Robert A. Gray (1930-1961)
Clarence M. Gay (1946-1955)
J. Edwin Larson (1941-1965)
Commissioner of Agriculture:
Nathan Mayo (1923-1960)
Richard W. Ervin (1949-1964)
Supt. of Public Instruction:
Thomas D. Bailey (1949-1965)
Florida Photographic Collection:
- Images relating to Charley Johns.
- Search Johns, Charley E. (Charley Eugene), 1905-1990 in the Florida Photographic Collection.
- Gov. Charley Johns-Leroy Collins
This debate between acting Gov. Charley Johns and future governor LeRoy Collins was filmed from a television monitor (kinescope) and simultaneously broadcast throughout Florida on radio.
Collections at the State Archives of Florida:
- Christie, Terry L. “The Collins-Johns Election, 1954: A Turning Point.” Apalachee (1963-1967).
- Stark, Bonnie. “McCathyism in Florida: Charley Johns and the Florida Legislative Investigative Committee, July 1956 to July 1965.” MA Thesis: University of South Florida, 1985.
- Schnur, James “Cold Warriors in the Hot Sunshine: The Johns Committee Assault on Civil Liberties in Florida, 1956-1965.” MA Thesis: University of South Florida, 1995.
- University of Florida, College of Journalism and Comminication. Behind Closed Doors [videorecording], 2000.
- Charley Johns, Florida Governors' Portraits, Museum of Florida History.