- MGM crew filming a scene from "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" - Wakulla Springs, Florida
- At front edge of raft are Dick Johnson and Newt Perry. Johnny Weissmuller is under water in front of the canoe holding Joe Holton, Mac Withers, Jack Yaeger, Jr. and Jack Trawick.
- Newt Perry worked as a performer and promoter for Silver Springs and managed Wakulla Springs before opening Weeki Wachee Springs, famed for its underwater mermaid shows, which Perry designed. He was also instrumental for the filming of MGM's "Tarzan Finds a Son!" (1939), originally titled "Tarzan in Exile", at Silver Springs and "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" (1941) at Wakulla Springs through his friendship with filmmaker Grantland Rice and actor-swimmer Johnny Weismuller (who played Tarzan). He also influenced Universal Studio's decision to film the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and its two sequels in Florida (including Wakulla and Silver Springs) as well as the hiring of local swimmer Ricou Browning to portray the Creature. Perry spent much of his later life working as a swimming instructor in Ocala, Florida.
Title of Work
- Tarzan's Secret Treasure (Motion picture)
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 3 x 5 in.
- Perry, Newton, 1908-1987.
- Weissmuller, Johnny, 1904-1984.
- Holton, Joe.
- Withers, Mac.
- Yaeger, Jack (Henry Jackson), Jr., 1923-1998
- Trawick, Jack.
- Johnson, Dick.
Learn more about the Print collections »