- Flipper shown here was Mitzi, a bottle-nosed dolphin. She played Flipper in the 1963 film of the same name, created by Ricou Browning. He later followed up with a television series (1964-1967) produced by Ivan Tors studio. On the TV series, Flipper was played by five female dolphins and one male dolphin. Mitzi became a star attraction at Santini's Porpoise School, where Browning first discovered her. She is buried on the property.
- Santini's Porpoise School was opened in 1958 by Milton Santini, a former Estero fisherman. It was most famous as the home of the original Flipper. In 1972, he sold it, and it became Flipper's Sea School (1972-1977). Jean Paul Fortom-Gouin then closed it to the public and conducted research as the Institute for Delphinid Research (1977-1983). And in 1984, Jayne and Mandy Rodriguez turned it into the Dolphin Research Centre.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 5 x 4 in.
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »