- Historic site of Bulow house at Bulow Plantation Ruins State Park - Bunnell, Florida
- Photographed in July 1966.
- Sign at the far right reads, "Bulow house stood here. Burned by Seminoles 1836."
- Bulow Plantation and Mill, built of coquina rock, was the largest in East Florida. In 1821, Major Charles Wilhelm Bulow acquired 4,675 acres on a tidal creek (later Bulow Creek) and using slave labor, cleared 2,200 acres and planted sugar cane, cotton, rice and indigo. He died in 1823, and seventeen year old son, John Joachim Bulow took over. Naturalist John James Audubon was a guest at the plantation during the 1831 Christmas season. 1831. The plantation and its mill was destroyed in 1836 during the Second Seminole War. Bulow left for Paris that year, where he died. The Florida Park Service acquired the ruins in 1945. it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »