- Governor Martin at site of Jacksonville's old Camp Johnston
- Photographed on July 16, 1926.
- Camp Clifford Foster (named for Florida's Adjutant General) was first established in 1909 as a National Guards base. It became Camp Johnston during the First World War to train Army quartermasters, and included over 600 buildings and the nation's second largest rifle range. In 1919, it was renamed Camp Clifford Foster. During the Depression it was abandoned, and the city of Jacksonville converted it into a transient labor camp in 1932. Homeless men would be picked up in Hemmings Park in downtown Jacksonville and trucked to the camp. Using Federal funds, it was run by the Duval County Emergency Relief Fund. It was closed in 1935.
Additional Corporate Creator
- 1 photograph - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Print collections »