- Fort San Marcos de Apalache museum at the confluence of the Wakulla and St. Marks rivers.
- Richard Parks operated a portrait studio in Tallahassee from 1962 to 1974. First called Richard Parks-Evon Streetman Photography, the studio was later renamed Richard Parks Photography after Streetman moved to Gainesville about 1965.
- San Marcos de Apalache is the second oldest surviving Spanish fortification in Florida. The Spanish Governor of Florida started construction in 1679 at the confluence of the Wakulla and St. Marks rivers. It was also utilized during the U.S. Civil War. The 17-acre site became a state park in 1964. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and is also a National Engineering Landmark and a National Historic Landmark.
- Marker at the bottom left reads, "Wooden stockades were built here by the Spanish in 1680 and 1758. In 1758, these were destroyed by a hurricane which drowned the garrison. A masonry fort was begun in 1759 but was soon abandoned to the Indians for a trading post and Indian rendezvous. It was occupied by the Spanish in 1783. General Andrew Jackson seized and occupied the fort in 1819. It became a United States possession in 1821 upon purchase of the territory from Spain. It was occupied as an army post until 1824 when the Indians were moved to a reservation. The Town of St. Marks was created by an act of Congress in 1830 and became a port of entry before railroads were extended to the seaboard. The fort was re-established and occupied by the Confederate Army during the Civil War and Federal Naval attack on the fort was repulsed in 1865."
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 4 x 5 in.
Learn more about the Richard Parks collection »