- View showing former slave quarters of "The Columns" in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Richard Parks operated a portrait studio in Tallahassee from 1962 to 1974. First called Richard Parks-Evon Streetman Photography, the studio was later renamed Richard Parks Photography after Streetman moved to Gainesville about 1965.
- Accompanying note: "The old Slave Quarters, though a separate building, are part and parcel of The Columns since they undoubtedly served not only as a living accommodation for servants, but as the area for preparing food for the 'big house.'"
- The Columns was built by Benjamin Chaires about 1835 on the southwest corner of Adams St. and Park Avenue. Along with the Presbyterian Church, the house served occasionally as a refuge against the Indians during the Seminole War. In 1856 the house was bought by William Bailey, a prominent Jefferson County planter, who with B.C. Lewis, founded the predecessor of the Lewis State Bank in the old Union Bank building. Later it was moved in 1971 to the northwest corner of Park Ave. and Duval Street. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
- 1 photonegative - col. - 5 x 4 in.
Learn more about the Richard Parks collection »