- Ornithopter and creator George R. White at Saint Augustine
- Photographed September 21, 1927.
- Rear view of the wing-flapping, foot-propelled ornithopter with the inventor, George R. White, at the controls on the beach at St. Augustine. The bird-like glider weighed 118 pounds, was 8 feet in length, and had a wingspan of 29.5 feet. It was made of chrome molybdernum covered with a non-in-flammable transparent celluloid fabric.
- It crashed on its first test flight but was later improved.
- 1 photograph - b&w - 10 x 8 in.in.
Learn more about the Print collections »