Florida Memory is administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services, Bureau of Archives and Records Management. The digitized records on Florida Memory come from the collections of the State Archives of Florida and the special collections of the State Library of Florida.
State Archives of Florida
Front view of the kitchen, as restored, at the Kingsley Plantation State Park on Fort George Island in Jacksonville, Florida.
Buildings--Repair and reconstruction
Architecture--Conservation and restoration
Historic house museums--Florida--Jacksonville
Shelf number: 16545.
Kingsley Plantation was a state park from the 1950s until 1989. Tours of the house, furnished with antiques purchased in the 1950s and 1960s, were offered by park staff. In 1989, U.S. Representative Charles Bennett negotiated the creation of the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve, which would include national, state, and city properties and parks. As part of the negotiation, the State of Florida purchased Fort George Island to be used as a state park, but transferred Kingsley Plantation to the National Park Service.
The kitchen was often called the John "Don Juan" McQueen house, after the person who first built Kingsley Plantation. It was later called the Anna Jai (Anna Kingsley) house, after Kingsley's wife. The kitchen building's foundation was built in the 1790s and made of tabby brick.
Subject - Person
Subject - Corporate
Chicago Manual of Style
Front view of the kitchen, as restored, at the Kingsley Plantation State Park on Fort George Island in Jacksonville, Florida. 1950 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. <https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/41433>, accessed 29 September 2022.
Front view of the kitchen, as restored, at the Kingsley Plantation State Park on Fort George Island in Jacksonville, Florida. 1950 (circa). State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory. Accessed 29 Sep. 2022.<https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/41433>