- Cow Ford at Saint Johns River : Jacksonville, Florida
- Jacksonville developed around a ford in the Saint Johns River. Early colonists drove their cattle across this area which became known as Cow Ford. In 1822 Isaiah D. Hart mapped out a town for this location and named it "Jacksonville" after Andrew Jackson, the provisional governor of the Territory of Florida.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »