Description of previous item
Description of next item
Research Starter: Mary McLeod Bethune
In 1904, Mary McLeod Bethune founded the Daytona Normal and Industrial School for Negro Girls. Her school later merged with the Cookman Institute of Jacksonville in 1923 and today is known as Bethune-Cookman University.
Bethune was active in the struggle for civil rights and served as an unofficial adviser to President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Classroom, Mary McLeod Bethune, Educator
- Selected Documents, Mary McLeod Bethune
- Video, Bicentennial Bethune
- Photographs, Bethune
State Library of Florida
- Bibliography, African-American History
- Bibliography, Emancipation and Reconstruction in Florida
- Bibliography, Education in Florida