- Portrait of Florida State Senator John T. Lesley
- Born on May 12, 1835 in Madison County as the son of a planter. He fought in the State Militia during the Seminole Wars and the U.S. regular forces until 1858.
- Captain Lesley commanded Company K of the 4th Florida Infantry, the "Sunny South Guards," and made Major in 1862. Resigned commission in 1863 to recruit a cavalry company. He surrendered in Tampa at the war's end.
- Served as Tax Collector and Assessor. He was elected to the Florida House in 1876 and the Senate in 1878 being reelected in 1882. He was a member of the constitutional convention of 1885. He was also owner of John T. Lesley's wholesale and retail drug store. He died on July 13, 1913.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 6 x 5 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »