"A" By Official Order of Governor Spessard L. Holland and the Commanding Officer at Key West, Florida:
You are hearby requested to take the following steps to comply with the recent blackout order carried in the press.
(1) It is requested that you immediately take steps to have extinguished all street lights on water front streets and highways at once, and those actually on the ocean front, not those on the west side.
(2) Screen water front side lights on all streets running down to the water front for about four (4) city blocks away.
(3) Screen all advertising lights and lighted windows near beach front that are facing seaward and are directly visible from off shore.
(4) Screen all bright lights on seawards side, directly visible from the sea, and within two (2) miles from the water front, this again does not apply to those low lying lights on the mainland that maybe already screened by invisible objects.
(5) In case of a brightly lighted installation near beach have the light so directed and screened so that no direct light can be seen from off shore.
By Order of the:
Palm Beach Civilian Defense Council
O.B. Carr, Executive Director
F.L. Gates [signed]