State Archives of Florida: Collection M95-2, Box 01, Folder 1
This document includes an address by Mary McLeod Bethune, president of the Daytona Normal and Industrial Institute for Negro Girls. Bethune was addressing the Board of Education of the Methodist Episcopal Church as she was signing the deed to give the board control of the institute.
Mary McLeod Bethune moved to Daytona Beach in 1904 to begin her own school. The one room school became known as the Daytona Normal and Industrial School for Negro Girls and taught reading, writing and home economics. Daytona Normal and Industrial School grew over the years, and in 1923 the school merged with the Cookman Institute of Jacksonville, a school for boys. The merger created Bethune-Cookman College (later Bethune-Cookman University) which continues to thrive in Daytona Beach.