WHY BUY AT SHELL'S CITY SUPERMARKET?
The management of Shell's City refuses to serve Negroes at its lunch counter.
On Wednesday, August 17, the manger of this store had 18 white and Negro customers arrested simply because they asked for service. This could have been one of your family - or so you.
To buy in this store means the endorsement of racial discrimination. Your dollars spent at Shell's City are being used to pay for legal action against the jailed customers.
WE URGE YOU THAT:
1. Shell's City serve everyone at all counters.
2. The manger of Shell's City drop the charges against the 18 customers unjustly jailed.
3. Shell's City end its policy of racial discrimination in employment.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
1. Do not buy from Shell's City until the above conditions are met.
2. Write to the manager, Mr. George McKelvey
5941 N. W. 7th Avenue
....and tell him you protest these discriminatory policies.
DON'T BUY DISCRIMINATION
MIAMI CORE - CONGRESS OF RACIAL EQUALITY
State Archives of Florida: Collection N2015-1, Box 03, Folder 17
Flier boycotting Shell's City for refusing to serve African-Americans at its lunch counter. Eighteen white and African-American demonstrators were arrested at Shell's City as a result of a sit-in. The flier encourages people to write to Shell's City's manager, George McKelvey, so he will drop the charges against the demonstrators and change the discriminatory policy.
The Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) was a civil rights organization that practiced non-violent direct action.