Tallahassee's Live Oak Trail brochure, 1941

Tallahassee's Live Oak Trail brochure, 1941

Transcript

POINTS OF INTEREST IN AND AROUND Tallahassee

1. State Capitol - only Southern Capitol east of the Mississippi River not seized during the War between States. The first section of the present building was occupied by the legislature and executive officers in January 1841.

2. Florida State College for Women - twenty-two red brick buildings on an 80-acre campus shaded by pines and oaks. It has an average enrollment of 2,000 students.

3. Governor's Mansion - the Southern Colonial house, set on a square block of landscaped grounds, was built in 1900.

4. Florida Agricultural and Mechanical College for Negroes - situated on the site of the plantation of Territorial Governor Duval, it was established as a co-educational college in 1905. Usual enrollment about 860.

5. Natural Bridge on State Road 354, 14 miles from Tallahassee - where the St. marks River disappears underground, a 6-acre park with monument marks site of a battle fought March 1865, whereby a Federal march on Tallahassee was stopped.

6. Wakulla Springs, 20 miles south on U.S. 319 - the largest spring from a single source in Florida, with a flow of 146,000 gallons a minute and dept of 180 feet.

7. St. Marks, 18 miles from Tallahassee - a fishing village near which stands the ruins of Fort St. Marks, a stone structure build in 1739 by the Spanish. Boats and tackle are for hire.

8. State Geological Museum - located on the campus of the Florida State College for Women. Visiting house are from 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. daily, except Sunday.

9. Grave of Prince Achille Murat and his wife - about three blocks from the center of Tallahassee in the old Episcopal cemetery.

10. Panacea, 32 miles, and Carrabelle, 59 miles, Beaches south on U.S. 319. bathing and fishing. Boats and tackle for hire. All facilities.

11. Federal Correctional Institution, 3 miles east on U.S. 90.

12. The Columns, southwest corner North Adams St., and West Park Avenue, built in 1835, one of the oldest houses in the city.

13. The Presbyterian Church, northwest corner North Adams Street and West Park Avenue, built in 1832, has an old slave gallery.

14. The Grove, North Adams Street and 1st Avenue, now a hotel, was once the home of Richard Keith Call, an early Territorial Governor. The house was built in 1825 on a 640-acre estate.

15. The May Oak, East Park Avenue and Gadsden Street. Under this tree May Day festivals have been held for over 100 years.