History of Gilchrist County

History of Gilchrist County

Transcript

GILCHRIST COUNTY COURT HOUSES
Gilchrist County was created in 1935. Trenton was selected as the county site and the first building used as a Court House was an old two-story school building. This was destroyed by fire Nov. 19, 1932, most of the county records being saved.
The present Court House was erected in 1933 at a cost of $20,000, and was paid for in full without additional cost to the tax payers of the county. It is built of brick and is a roomy, well-proportioned building, consisting of two stories, with most of the offices on the first floor.

Source

State Library of Florida, WPA - Historical Records Survey, County Histories

Description

Brief history of Gilchrist County, Florida collected by the Works Progress Administration's Historical Records Survey.

Note to Researchers: Though the WPA field workers included extensive citations for the factual information contained in these county histories, it should be noted that these historical narratives were produced in the 1930s by federal government employees, and might reflect the inherent social biases of the era.