- St. James Hotel - Jacksonville, Florida
- The St. James Hotel, opened in 1869, was the largest hotel in the Southeast om the late 1800s. It was also the largest building in Jacksonville. In 1901, the hotel was destroyed in the great city fire. Architect Henry J. Klutho rebuilt it, and it became the Cohen Brothers Store (later known as May-Cohens) in 1912. By the 2000s, Jacksonville city hall had been relocated to the St. James Building. The hotel building was located on West Duval Street. The park in front of the hotel was the city's first park It was called St. James Park until 1899 when it was renamed Hemming Park, after Charles C. Hemming who donated a Confederate monument to the city for the park.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »