- Florida A&M University students on a protest march - Tallahassee, Florida
- Photographed on March 12, 1960.
- Accompanying note: "Protesting against the arrest of 23 of their classmates earlier today when they took part in lunch counter sit-in demonstrations at McCrory's and Woolworth's department stores, these Negro students from Florida A. & M. University carry signs reading 'Give us back our students' and 'We will not fight mobs'. About 250 students took part in the march, which reportedly was brought under control by tear gas. Demonstrators seeking service in Tallahassee department stores nearly touched off a riot about noon Saturday. All available police officers were called on duty."
- The man in the black sweater at the far right is William Larkins, F.A.M.U.'s student government president.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »