- Portrait of Confederate Major Robert Gamble - Ellenton, Florida
- Photograph of a painting.
- Maj. Robert Gamble, of Tallahassee and later of Ellenton, Florida, was noted for outstanding bravery at the Battle of the Withlacoochee during the Second Seminole War. He supervised the building of a huge sugar mill and the Gamble Mansion at Ellenton. During the Civil War, a Federal raiding party from the east Gulf Blockading Squadron blew up the sugar mill. The Mansion is now part of a State Historic Memorial on U.S. Highway 301.
- Robert Gamble was the son of John G. Gamble of Tallahassee, Florida, noted banker, gentlemen farmer, and promoter.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 10 x 8 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »