- John F. McClellon home after the fire of 1901 - Jacksonville, Florida
- John F. McClellon in foreground was a Western Union employee at this time.
- Jacksonville's Great Fire of 1901 was the largest metropolitan fire in the American South. The fire began on May 3, 1901 with a spark from a cook stove at lunchtime which ignited piles of Spanish moss drying for a mattress factory. Located at Davis and Beaver streets, the factory fire spread to most of the downtown area. By 8:30 when the fire was brought under control, 2,368 buildings were destroyed, 10,000 people were homeless and seven residents were dead. The city spent the next decade rebuilding its downtown.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 8 x 10 in.
Learn more about the Reference collection »