Mission San Luis de Apalachee (also known as San Luis de Talimali) was a Spanish Franciscan mission built in 1656 two miles west of present-day Tallahassee, Florida. The mission was part of Spain's effort to colonize the region, and convert the Timucuan and Apalachee Indians to Christianity. It was evacuated and destroyed in 1704 to prevent its use by the approaching English. The re-created site was declared a National Historic Landmark on October 9, 1960 and later added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
"Visit Florida" operates under a contract with the Office of Tourism, Trade and Economic Development as Florida's tourism marketing agency. "Visit Florida" is not a government agency, but rather a not-for-profit corporation created as a public/private partnership by the Florida Legislature in 1996.
Florida Memory is funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State's Division of Library and Information Services.