- Horse-drawn carriages in front of the Oldest House on Saint Francis Street in St. Augustine, Florida.
- Archaeological research indicates continuous occupation of the site from the early 1600s. Documentation in 1727 gives evidence of residency by Tomas Gonzales y Hernandez, a Canary Islander who, with his wife, Francisca de Guevarra, lived in the house until British occupation of Saint Augustine. After the structure had been vacant for 10 years, Major Joseph Peavett bought the property from Jesse Fish, adding portions of the upper story and making other improvements. The British officer died in 1786, and Spanish authorities sold the property in public sale to Geronimo Alvarez. The Oldest House, also known as the Gonzalez-Alvarez House, was later added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Learn more about the Print collections »