- View showing demolition of John Ringling's Ritz-Carlton Hotel at the southern tip of Longboat Key, Florida.
- Photographed on January 30, 1964.
- John Ringling began construction of the Ritz Carlton in 1926. Hard economic times forced Ringling to shut down the project and it was later demolished in 1964.
- Joseph Janney Steinmetz was a world-renowned commercial photographer whose images appeared in such publications as the Saturday Evening Post, Life, Look, Time, Holiday, Collier's, and Town & Country. His work has been referred to as "an American social history," which documented diverse scenes of American life from affluent northeasterners to middle-class Floridians. Steinmetz moved from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Sarasota, Florida in 1941.
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 35 mm.
Learn more about the Steinmetz collection »