Print View (image only)
Image Number: 0705052
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
Sheet 1 of 2 sheets
WPA Form 20 HR FLORIDA Revision
Workerís Full Name: Zella E. Johnson
Date: August 23, 1939
I have compared revised 20 HR Form with original 20 HR Form covering this church. I have noted discrepancies between the two Forms as follows:
Original Form Item 6.
Revised Form Item 15.
I have given correct information on the revised Form.
HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY
CHURCH INVENTORY FORM: 1939
Fill in each item, or state in items for which information is not available, sources contacted in attempting to secure information.
1. County: Hardee
2. City or town: Wauchula
3. Exact name of church: St. Johnís First Baptist Church (Colored)
4. Street address, R.F.D. route, Highway Number and No. of miles N.S.E., or W. of nearest town:
R.F.D. 2, State Highway #17, about 2 miles South of Wauchula.
5. Race of membership: Colored
6. Language of services: English
7. Denomination (full title): National Baptist Convention of America (Missionary Baptist)
8. Names and locations of denominational bodies with which church is connected (national, state, district, etc. Ė in descending order of importance):
National Baptist Convention of America, Nashville, Tenn.
Progressive Baptist State Convention, Jacksonville, Fla.
Progressive Baptist Glad Association, Lakeland, Fla.
9. Date church organized: 1935
10. Dates of lapse, or date of defunct: Nov. 1938
11. Is church incorporated?: No
12. If so, give date of incorporation: None
13. Original name of church (if name has changed) and date of change:
First called Harmony Baptist Church, changed late in 1935.
14. Name of local parent church (if any) from which organized of split:
First Baptist Church (colored)
15. Information on all previous buildings used for services, since organization, specifying location and dates used:
St. Johnís First Baptist Church was organized in a small frame unpainted church house in southwest corner of what was formerly called the crate-mill section, about 2 miles south of Wauchula. The church was never moved, continued to occupy same building until it was disbanded in November 1938.