Print View (image only)
Image Number: 0502039
On many of the scans, text appears to bleed through from the reverse page as survey workers often used recycled paper printed on one side with unrelated material. Users should be aware that the bleed-through is not a missing page.
CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD, 1893--. Stockton, park, and Forbes St., Jacksonville, Duval County.
Constituted, and incorporated 1893, sponsored by St. John’s Parish. Services as a mission beginning 1870, in home of Mr. Paran Moody, Oak and Stonewall Streets, until 1879, then erected a building, Stonewall Street and Riverside Ave., moved to Oak and Gilmore Streets, and a brick addition made, serving until burned 1915. Then services in homes until structure erected, Stockton and Herschell Streets, 1916, moved to present site 1918, and unit of present buildings constructed 1919, a second unit of gymnasium, pool and parish house erected 1921. Services now in a natural finish, rectangular, Gothic, Briar Hill sandstone building, with 14 memorial and 12 stained glass windows, and pipe organ, erected 1928-1929.
First settled pastor, Rev. J.R. Bicknell, 1884-1889. Education unknown. Present pastor, Rev. Malcolm W. Lockhart, 1935--, 2525 Barrs Terrace, Jacksonville; University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, La. See, "Church History," 1919-1924, by Mrs. Jane Ludington, 1924, in church office. Also, "Directory of the Church of the Good Shepherd, by Mrs. E.W. Savage, published by Arnold Printing Company, Jacksonville, 84 pp., in church office.