Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.

Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.

Credit this photo: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, https://floridamemory.com/items/show/241933
(please include photographer's name when noted).

Title

  • Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.

Image Number

  • COM05717

Year

  • Between 1980 and 1985

Series Title

General Note

  • A nearby historical marker (erected 2004) reads, "The Franklin Guards, a company of Infantry organized in Apalachicola in 1884 by J.H. Coombs and Fred Betterfield, erected the first building in the city to be used solely as an armory in 1898. Made of simulated brick, it was located at the corner of High Street and Center Avenue. On May 25, 1900, fire destroyed it and much of the downtown. On July 3, 1900, a committee was formed to build a new armory. The facility was designed by Frank and Thomas Lockwood of Columbus, Georgia and constructed by John H. Hecker. It was completed in 1901 at a cost of $12,000. The replacement armory features real brick walls and a gable roof with a gable parapet. Solid massing of the walls, slit windows, and a corner tower that resembles a medieval watchtower make this an imposing military structure. Fort Coombs is a unique example of fortress architecture in Florida, and has served as the military and social nexus of Apalachicola for more than a century. Units stationed here have been mobilized for service in World Wars I and II, the Gulf War and the War with Iraq. Bronze plaques located on the exterior front wall memorialize the names of generations of Apalachicola and Franklin County citizens who have served their State and Nation."
  • The district, roughly bounded by the Apalachicola River, Apalachicola Bay, 17th and Jefferson Sts., was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

Creator

Physical Description

  • 1 slide - col.

Subject Term

Geographic Term

Subject Corporate


Learn more about the Department of Commerce collection »

Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.
Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.

Order Prints

Please select the size and options

Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.
COM05717

* Shipping fee: The fee is a flat rate of $2 per order. The expected turnaround is 7 to 10 business days, not inclusive of shipping time. See FAQ for more information. 

Order Scan

Please select the size and options

Fort Coombs Armory on the west corner of High St. and Ave. D in the Apalachicola Historic District.
COM05717

*Scans will be available for download in 3 to 5 days, and will have a flat $2 per order handling charge. An email will be sent with a link to the download. See FAQ for more information.

For help or more information about ordering see the FAQ or Customer Service