- Portrait of Mary Jane Roberts - Riviera Beach, Florida
- Photographed in May 1939.
- Accompanying note: "5. Mary Jane, Wilbur's wife, is a spry, proud eighty-year-old."
- In the summer of 1939, Works Projects Administration (WPA) photographer and artist Charles C. Foster was assigned to take photographs for Florida Writers Project (FWP) writer Veronica Huss' profile of the "Conchs" (Bahamian immigrants) of Riviera Beach. Armed with his Reflex-Korelle single-lens camera and four rolls of 12 exposure black and white film, Foster spent the day photographing Veronica and her subjects - immigrants from the Bahamas, who were derisively referred by locals as "Conchs". While the book was never published, the WPA's Florida Art Project used the images for a traveling exhibit titled "Conch Town" that toured the nation between 1939 and 1943.
- 1 photoprint - sepia - 14 x 11 in.
Learn more about the Print collections »