- Bulow Plantation Historic Memorial - Flagler County, Florida
- Ormond Beach, Fla., : Tohifs Dist. Co., 196-.
- Accompanying note "This was the largest sugar mill in Florida. It was operated from 1820 until it was burned by the Seminoles in 1836. This sugar mill is located midway between Ormand Beach, Flagler Beach & Bunnell on State Road 5A."
- Bulow Plantation and Mill, built of coquina rock, was the largest in East Florida. In 1821, Major Charles Wilhelm Bulow acquired 4,675 acres on a tidal creek (later Bulow Creek) and using slave labor, cleared 2,200 acres and planted sugar cane, cotton, rice and indigo. He died in 1823, and seventeen year old son, John Joachim Bulow took over. Naturalist John James Audubon was a guest at the plantation during the 1831 Christmas season. 1831. The plantation and its mill was destroyed in 1836 during the Second Seminole War. Bulow left for Paris that year, where he died. The Florida Park Service acquired the ruins in 1945. it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
- 1 postcard - col - 4 x 6 in.
Learn more about the Postcard collection »