- Mary B. Billie hacking away plants to get at palmetto fibers for dollmaking - Big Cypress Reservation, Florida
- Photographed on July 15, 1980.
- Mary B. Billie has been a dollmaker since she was 17. She learned the skill by watching her mother, who had learned it from Mary's grandmother.
- Accompanying note: "'She never knows where to find any. Like you would just go into a grocery store and get what you want. Its not like that. She has to hunt for it. If you're lucky, it takes her about half a day to find it, or if you can't find it, sometimes it takes her all day. Sometimes she has to go out the next morning to look for it again.'"
- "'She said if she can find it early enough, she sometimes gets about fifty, but it depends on the day. If she finds it late in the afternoon, she cuts about fifteen. She's looking for the ones that are smooth. You have to cut it and see, you know, take it apart and see if it's good or if it's not she'll just go on until, you know, she'll look for it until she finds it.'"
Learn more about the Folklife Collection »