- "Rudiments of Music" from a revised copy of the "Sacred Harp" by W.M. Cooper - Old Chicora, Florida
- Photographed on August 2, 1979.
- Photographed at the Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church in Old Chicora.
- Accompanying note: "'Well, in the Sacred Harp book there are four shapes, FA, SO, LA, MI. The FA is triangular, and the LA is square, the MI is diamond-shaped and the SO is uh zero, an O. And there's only four shapes, in Sacred Harp music and they're called, the notes are called by the shape of the note, rather than where it is located on the staff... because you don't have to know very much music to be able to sing... That's the main reason that, that I can figure out... anyway... is that it's easy to sing, just because you, you call the note by the shape of it.'"
Title of Work
- Sacred Harp, The :pRudiments of Music
Learn more about the Folklife Collection »