- Folk Heritage award winner Flora Mae Hunter - Tallahassee, Florida
- Photographed in March 1988.
- Hunter cooked for the owners of Sunnyhill, Foshalee and Horseshoe Plantations and wrote the recipe book "Born in the Kitchen : Plain and Fancy Plantation Fixings", in 1979, for which she received the 1988 Florida Folk Heritage Award.
- Based on recommendations from the Florida Folklife Council, the Secretary of State confers Florida Folk Heritage Awards annually. The awards are given to outstanding folk artists and folk culture advocates who have made long-standing contributions to the folk cultural resources of the state. Established in 1985, the program parallels the National Heritage Fellowships. In 1988, Secretary of State Smith presented awards to Stetson Kennedy, Alton Morris, Flora Mae Hunter, and Tom Gaskins.
- 1 photonegative - b&w - 35 mm.
- Shelf number: S1664B1FF15.
Learn more about the Folklife collection »