- Gospel steel guitarist Aubrey Ghent (L) teaching his apprentice Elton Noble - Fort Pierce, Florida
- Aubrey Ghent of Fort Pierce has been playing gospel music on the electric steel guitar since he was nine. For many years his father, Henry Nelson, was the steel guitarist at the House of God church in Ocala where Ghent is pastor today.
- Ghent's apprentice, Elton Noble, is a resident of Fort Pierce and member of the House of God as well. The apprenticeship gives Noble the opportunity to work intensely with an acknowledged master of the gospel steel guitar tradition. He is learning vibrato, control of dynamics, slanted-bar technique, and a variety of picking styles as well as developing a repertory of hymns, spirituals, marches, and jubilee music.
- 1 photoprint - b&w - 35 mm.
- Shelf number: S1640B15F6.
Learn more about the Folklife Collection »