With its candy-striped awnings and ornate art glass dome, Florida’s old capitol is an architectural reflection of a bygone era, as well as an excellent example of a grassroots historic preservation effort. For over a century, the building served elements of all three branches of government. Over time, however, Florida outgrew its capitol, and in 1977 a new twenty-two story building was erected just behind it. The old capitol building was first slated for demolition, but when Tallahassee locals discovered the state’s intent to raze one of the oldest landmarks in the city, the Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board quickly mobilized a resistance, urging Floridians to preserve their history and “Save the Capitol!”
Perhaps some 1970s legislators were blind to the important symbol of a democratic state government, but from 1839 until 1977, the old capitol bore witness to numerous important milestones in Florida’s history. Two years after establishing Tallahassee as the capital of the sparsely populated Florida territory in 1824, three log cabins were built for conducting government business. But by the following decade, the territory seemed destined for statehood, and Governor Richard Keith Call asked the legislature for a larger space in 1839. The new brick and mortar statehouse proved a worthwhile investment when it was completed in 1845. In that same year, Florida became the twenty-seventh state to join the Union and first elected governor, William Dunn Moseley, was sworn into office beneath the new capitol’s east portico, commencing the state’s history.
In an effort to accommodate a growing state government, Florida’s capitol underwent a series of structural changes. However, its current appearance was restored to honor the 1902 work of Frank Pierce Milburn, who added a stately copper dome.
Further renovations occurred in 1923, 1936, and 1947. Despite physical alterations, the capitol remained a firm symbol of democracy as Florida’s political landscape continued to evolve into the twentieth century.
However, by the early 1970s it was clear that Florida government had outgrown its Tallahassee headquarters. Thus, the 1972 Legislature appropriated funds for a new, mammoth capitol complex, intending to destroy the old capitol after finishing the project. When it finally opened in 1977, a faction of politicians, including Governor Reubin Askew and House Speaker Donald Tucker, remained in favor of the original demolition plan, but an unexpected backlash would challenge the proposed action.
Nancy Dobson, a historian and Director of the Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board, spearheaded the opposition, enlisting the support of Secretary of State Bruce Smathers. Soon, legislators, academics, and the interested public began expressing their indignation over the idea of eliminating such a significant historical landmark. “If the political powers within the state decide to destroy the building in which they themselves have a sentimental and historical involvement, what will be their attitude toward other preservation efforts in the state with which they may have little or no personal relationship?” Dobson questioned.
Like many other historic preservation campaigns, the race to save the Capitol was led primarily by female activists. Their work culminated in an event orchestrated by Mrs. Bruce Smathers. On March 30, 1978 “Save the Capitol Night,” hosted guests at the site for music, tours, and an opportunity to sign a petition in favor of preservation. Kicking off the festivities, a local folk band performed on the steps, encouraging audiences to “save that grand old southern lady on the hill.”
Ultimately, the campaign was a success, and the old capitol, restored to its 1902 appearance, opened as a public museum in 1982.
The State Archives holds a collection of records (M95-1)documenting efforts to save the historic capitol building from demolition as the new capitol complex was being constructed. The collection includes correspondence between concerned citizens and the Secretary of State’s office, newspaper articles, research notes, architect proposals, plans and blueprints, coordination conference minutes, and copies of photographs (c.1890s) of the old capitol.