78 images of Newberry and rural Alachua County
Collection Number: M96-33
Title: Newberry Photographic Collection, 1890-1949
Quantity: 78 photographs
These black-and-white images of Newberry, Florida and its environs form a portrait of small town life in rural Central Florida from the late 19th century to the middle 20th century, depicting the business, industry, and people of Alachua County. Included are images of street scenes, schools, businesses, and families.
Originally called Newton, the Florida town of Newberry was renamed after Newberry, South Carolina. The first post office was established in March 1894. Phosphate mining was the primary industry, and the town was the southern terminus for the Jacksonville and Southern Railway.